Contact Us

Located in McMinnville's Plaza Shopping Center

1100 Smithville Highway, Suite 127A McMinnville, TN 37110 (931)473-7006

Visit us on Facebook: www.Facebook.com/AshleysAtticMcMinnville

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Icebox Jam

One of my FAVORITE things is strawberry flavored icebox jam.
Trish (Seth's mom) had several jars from a batch she had made a little while back and I have been slowly (ok, quickly, I don't even worry about bread when I eat it...all I need is a spoon!) going through what she had left of that batch. She told me that if I wanted to at some point make a new batch with her that I should just let her know.
I got some fresh (Irving College) strawberries on Tuesday morning and I thought that it would be a good time to make some icebox jam! So...Tuesday night Trish and I set out to make a few jars of jam. Apparently, 1 gallon of strawberries makes more than a few jars....21 to be exact! Don't worry though, I'm sure I'll be needing more in just a few weeks!
Here are some pics of my first jam-making experience. Holler at me if you want the recipe...it's easy to do and just a quart of strawberries makes nearly 5 jars of jam!



Here's the Recipe: 1. Wash & rinse containers with tight fitting lids.
2. Wash berries, discard stems, crush 1 cup at a time using a potato
masher for best results. If using a food processor, pulse to a very
fine chop. DO NOT PUREE. Jam should have bits of fruit.
3. Measure exactly 2 cups crushed strawberries into a large bowl.
4. Measure exactly 4 cups sugar (reducing sugar or using sugar
substitutes will result in set failure.)
5. Stir sugar into prepared fruit. Mix well, let stand 10 minutes,
stirring occasionally.
6. Stir 1 box SURE JELL fruit pectin and 3/4 cup water in small
saucepan. Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1
minute, stirring constantly.
7. Stir pectin mixture into strawberries. Stir constantly for 3 minutes.
8. Pour into containers, leave 1/2 inch space at top.
9. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Store in freezer.

I love Spring!!!

No comments: